Effective January 1, 2019, the administration of the waiver of instructional time requirement was transferred to the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction. Rulemaking and administration of waivers from graduation requirements remain with the State Board of Education.
Waivers of the Basic Education Program and High School Graduation Requirements
- Emergency Waiver Program: waiver of certain graduation requirements (180-11 WAC)
- Waiver of the Credit-based High School Graduation Requirements: to create and implement alternative graduation requirements (180-18-055 WAC)
- A school district, or high school with permission of the district board of directors, or approved private high school, desiring to implement a local restructuring plan to provide an effective educational system to enhance the educational program for high school students, may apply to the state board of education for a waiver from one or more of the requirements of chapter 180-51 WAC. To apply for a waiver of the Credit-based High School Graduation Requirements, please reach out to Viktoria Bobyleva. Download a copy of the questions or prompts for the Application, or access it here: Waiver of Credit-Based High School Graduation Requirements.
Waivers granted from the credit unit graduation requirements of WAC 180-51.
|District||School||# of Years||Granted||Expires|
|Davenport||Lincoln County Tech and Pathways||4||July 2021||2021-2025|
|Northshore||Innovation Learning Lab||4||May 2020||2022-2023|
|Cle Elum-Roslyn||Swiftwater Learning Center||4||May 2020||2022-2023|
|Snoqualmie Valley||Two Rivers School||4||September 2019||2022-2023|
|Moses Lake||Moses Lake High School||4||September 2019||2022-2023|
|Tonasket||Tonasket Choice High School||4||May 2019||2022-2023|
|Soap Lake||RISE Academy||4||May 2019||2022-2023|
|Selah||Selah Academy||4||May 2019||2022-2023|
Career Academy at Truman, Federal Way Open Doors
Big Picture High School
Maritime High School
|Issaquah||Gibson Ek High School||4||March 2020||2023-2024|
|Lake Chelan||Chelan School of Innovation||4||September 2022||2025-2026|
|Marysville||Tulalip Heritage High School||4||September 2022||2025-2026|
|Methow Valley||Independent Learning Center||4||March 2021||2023-2024|
|Quincy||Quincy Innovation Academy||4||September 2022||2025-2026|
- District waiver from requirement for student access to career and technical education course equivalencies (WAC 180-18-100)
- Any school district reporting, in any school year, an October P223 headcount of fewer than two thousand students as of January of that school year may apply to the superintendent of public instruction for a waiver of up to two years from the provisions of RCW 28A.230.010(2) for the subsequent school year.
- Waiver from total instructional hour requirements (WAC 180-18-030)
- A district desiring to improve student achievement by enhancing the educational program for all students may apply to the superintendent of public instruction for a waiver from the total instructional hour requirements.
- Waivers from minimum one hundred eighty-day school year requirement (WAC 180-18-040)
- A district desiring to improve student achievement by enhancing the educational program for all students in the district or for individual schools in the district may apply to the superintendent of public instruction for a waiver from the provisions of the minimum one hundred eighty-day school year requirement
- Waiver from one hundred eighty-day school year requirement for purposes of economy and efficiency (WAC 180-18-065)
- A school district may be granted a waiver by the superintendent of public instruction to operate one or more schools on a flexible calendar for purposes of economy and efficiency, a school district eligible for such waiver must meet each of the requirements of RCW 28A.305.141(2).