Private School Approval
Applications for approval for the 2021-2022 school year will be accepted from March 15 through April 16. The online application is for both new and renewing schools.
Based on feedback from schools, we have streamlined the application process. Much of the data from your previous 2020-2021 application has been prefilled. Logging in assures access to your partially pre-filled survey.
What is the process this year?
- The application for renewing schools is available now. Please login as described above to ensure you have access to your pre-filled data from last year.
- New private schools will use a different application than one for renewing schools. New private schools will complete the new schools application.
How do I log in?
- Username: You will use the email address of your Head of School OR the email address you submitted for the Head of School on your 2020-2021 survey.
- Password: Your School's Building Code.
Where do I find my school's building code?
Go to the OSPI EDS Directory Information.
- Use the "Organization Category" dropdown box to select Private School.
- Use the "Organization Name" text field to enter the name of the school, then the result of that search will populate in the lower part of that page.
- On the left-hand side of the search results, you will see the name of the school followed by the school code in parentheses.
- Enter the school code found in the parentheses.
If you have questions about finding your school code or if you have think you may have two building codes, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please save your login information.
How long will this take?
If you have all your information together, this application will take about an hour to complete. Note that partial applications that have not been submitted will not be considered.
Is this the only reporting we are required to submit?
No. Note that there are other reporting requirements to the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction and immunization reporting for the Department of Health.
What if our school has more than one campus?
Schools with multiple campuses will each apply separately.
What if I can't finish the application in one sitting?
No problem. After you log in, your information will automatically be saved. When you return to the survey later, you will be taken to the page where you left off, but you'll still be able to go back to previous pages if you need to make changes.
What paperwork will I need to upload?
- Health and fire inspections: If your school is new, has changed location, or has undergone a major renovation, you will need to submit documentation.
- Note: In some counties, the health inspection may be called "school safety inspection" or other names depending on local policy.
- Identifying a county health inspector: Identifying an appropriate health inspection organization is straightforward. Each county has a health department. Contact either the county health department directly or contact the building code personnel at the county/city to be directed to the health department. Please keep in mind that although identifying the appropriate health inspector is straightforward, local health codes may differ from area to area.
- Identifying a licensed fire inspector or an appropriate governmental fire inspection organization: The type and availability of fire inspectors differs throughout the state. Due to this variance, a good start would be to contact the building code personnel at the county/city and ask to be directed to a licensed fire inspector or an appropriate governmental fire inspection organization based on the private school building's address. Options that may be available are a county, city, or other licensed fire inspector.
- Important: Retain documentation of health and fire inspections in the school's main office.
- Teacher information: If your school employs teachers who are not certificated in Washington state, you must upload the Staff Reporting document, including the following information:
- The name of each non-Washington state certificated teacher.
- The circumstances by which the private school program is improved by employing the non-Washington state certificated teachers.
- Teaching a religious course without a counterpart in the public school system
- Bachelor's degree, under the general supervision of a certificated staff member
- One year or more of experience in a specialized field, under the general supervision of a certificated staff member
- Certificated in another state, under the general supervision of a certificated staff member
- The name of the Washington state certificated educator who will supervise this teacher.
- The certification number of the Washington state certificated educator who will supervise this teacher.
- Certificate of compliance: At the end of the application, you will be asked to upload the Certificate of Compliance Signature page that can be downloaded then signed and scanned for upload. By signing this document, you certify that your private school is in compliance with all requirements.
How can I get my Certificate of Approval?
Certificates of approval will be posted to the State Board of Education private schools website as soon as possible after approval. These will be posted as a bundle of certificates for approved schools. Once posted, please scroll through to find your school. This document demonstrates to the public that you are a private school approved by the State of Washington.
What about certification and clock hour provisions?
Private schools can become a Washington state approved clock hour provider, but must apply through the OSPI certification office.
Approval of clock hour providers only occurs once a year, and the application deadline is August 20, 2021. The deadline is firm and clock hour providers may not be approved retroactively.
All questions should be addressed to the OSPI certification office.
What if I have more questions?
If you have questions about the private school application, please refer to the private schools web page to see if your question is already answered on that page. If it is not addressed there, please contact email@example.com and allow 3-5 business days for a response due to the high volume of inquiries that the State Board of Education receives.