Current rulemaking activity | General rulemaking FAQ | Feedback
The State Board of Education has the authority to creates rules for public and approved private schools in Washington state. Rules developed by SBE can be found in Title 180 WAC.
Sign up for updates on this page.
SBE is staff is currently working on this page. You can find the status of SBE rulemaking on the SBE Rulemaking Docket page. The Current Rulemaking Docket was last updated 10/7/20. You may examine SBE rulemaking publications in the Washington State Register (WSR) on the Legislature's website.
Upcoming public hearings:
- WAC 180-19 - Charter Schools (Tuesday, January 5 from 1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.)
- WAC 180-16 - State Support of Public Schools (Tuesday, January 5 from 2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
- A CR-102 (proposal for permanent rules for WAC 180-16 (State support of public schools) has been filed with the Code Reviser on 9/4/20 and will be published as WSR 20-19-022 in the 10/7/20 WSR publication.
- A CR-102 (proposal for permanent rules) for WAC 180-51 regarding high school graduation requirements, WAC 180-90 regarding private schools, and WAC 180-11 regarding emergency waivers in response to COVID-19 has been published as WSR 20-15-151 filed 7/22/20. A public hearing was held on 8/27/20 at 2:00 p.m. and SBE will consider adoption of permanent rules during its September 2020 board meeting.
- A CR-101 (preproposal statement of inquiry) for WAC 180-08 regarding practice, procedure, and access to public records has been published as WSR 19-12-043 filed 5/30/19.
If you'd like an Office of the Code Reviser certified copy (PDF) of the documents above, please contact us.