You are here

Home » FAQs » Home Instruction

Home Instruction

1. What is the role of the State Board of Education (SBE) in home-based instruction?

SBE is responsible for approving standardized achievement tests that parents may use to assess and determine whether their child is making reasonable academic progress. These tests must be listed on the SBE's website, per WAC 180-52-070.

2. Is standardized testing the only option for meeting the annual assessment required of home-based students?

No, parents have two options to satisfy this statutory requirement (RCW 28A.200.010). They must ensure that:

  • A standardized achievement test approved by the State Board of Education is administered according to protocol annually to the child by a qualified individual; or
  • An annual assessment of the student's academic progress is written by a certificated certified person who is currently working in the field of education.

More information on administration of tests and annual assessment of students?academic progress may be found on the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction website (see question 7 below).

3. What are the approved standardized tests?

Parents providing home-based instruction for their children may use any standardized achievement test that has been evaluated by Buros Institute of Mental Measurements (, the test evaluation organization recognized by the State Board of Education under WAC 180-52-070.

Test Name Test Publisher
American College Testing (ACT) American College Testing, Inc.
Brigance Curriculum Associates, Inc.
California Achievement Tests, Fifth Edition (CAT/5) CTB/McGraw-Hill
California Diagnostic Tests (CDT) CTB/McGraw-Hill
Comprehensive Tests of Basic Skills (CTBS) CTB/McGraw-Hill
Iowa Tests of Basic Skills (ITBS) Riverside Publishing Company
Iowa Tests of Educational Development (ITED) Riverside Publishing Company
Metropolitan Achievement Tests, Seventh Edition (MAT/7) Harcourt Educational Measurement
Peabody Individual Achievement Test (PIAT) American Guidance Service, In.
PLAN (Pre-ACT) American College Testing, Inc.
Preliminary Scholastic Achievement Test (PSAT) The College Board
SAT and SAT Subject Tests The College Board
Stanford Achievement Tests (SAT) Harcourt Educational Measurement
Stanford Early Achievement Test (SEAT) Psychological Corporation
Terra Nova CTB/McGraw-Hill
Tests of Achievement and Proficiency (TAP) Riverside Publishing Company
WA State Assessments: MSP, HSPE, EOC Washington State

4. Can the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE), the Measurement of Student Progress (MSP), or End-of-Course (EOC) exam be used as one of the standardized achievement tests to meet the annual assessment requirement?

Yes, but it must be taken at one of its regularly scheduled administrations.

5. How do you make arrangements to take the HSPE, MSP, or EOC exams?

Contact the assessment coordinator in your local school district to make arrangements to participate in the HSPE, MSP, or EOC exams at one of the regularly scheduled administrations.

6. I need to find out if a student earned a diploma. How can I get that information?

Check with the local district. The state does not maintain centralized records of individual diplomas. Local districts must retain transcripts for 100 years.

7. Where can I get more information about home-based instruction?

For more information concerning Washington State home-based instruction regulations, contact:


Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
Student Support and Operations
Office of Private Education
Attn: Laura Moore
PO Box 47200
Olympia, WA 98504-7200
Phone: (360) 725-6433
Fax: (360) 664-3575


OSPI has more information on home schooling available on their website.

Page last updated: June 2012