The State Board of Education has multiple responsibilities under the charter school law for administration, oversight and reporting. Its primary responsibility is approval of school districts wishing to be authorizers of charter schools. Through its representation on the Washington State Charter School Commission, it also participates in the authorizing of charter schools. For detailed information about charter schools, see the Charter Schools FAQ.
SBE Statutory Duties for Charter Schools
The law requires the State Board of Education to establish an annual application approval process and timelines for school districts wishing to be authorizers of charter schools. If the Board approves a district as an authorizer, it must then enter into an authorizing contract with the district in order for the district to authorize charter schools. Additionally, under law, SBE must:
- Screen, approve, contract with, and oversee the performance and effectiveness of school districts that authorize charter schools within their boundaries
- Establish a statewide formula for an authorizer oversight fee
- Certify charter school applications approved by CSC or a district authorizer between approval and contract ratification (to ensure there is space available within the 40 maximum allowed by law).
- Create annual charter school report for Governor, Legislature, public at large
- Petitions for charter contract transfers (review and determine whether to grant)
- Include all charter schools in its public school system oversight, including accountability measures, to the same extent as other public schools
- SBE chair, or designee, serve as a member of the Charter School Commission
Annual Charter Schools Timelines
|Last date for posting of authorizer application by SBE
|Last date for district notice of intent to submit authorizer application
|Last date for district to submit authorizer application
|Last date for SBE to approve or deny authorizer application
|Last date for SBE authorizing contract with approved district
|Last date for all authorizers to issue RFPs for charter applicants
|Last date to submit charter applications to authorizers
|Last date for authorizers to approve or deny charter applications
|Last date for authorizers to report approval or denial of charter applications to SBE
1The date by which authorizers report approval or denial of charter applications to the SBE is set by RCW 28A.170.150(2) at ten days from the action to approve or deny.
Frequently Asked Questions
Authorizer Annual Reports