Mission and Vision
The Washington State Board of Education envisions an education system where students are engaged in personalized education pathways that prepare them for civic engagement, careers, postsecondary education, and lifelong learning.
The mission of the State Board of Education is to provide transparent leadership in K-12 education policy-making; effective oversight of schools serving Washington K-12 students; and, assertive advocacy for student personal growth and success. These three areas of responsibility will support a system that personalizes learning for each student and values diverse cultures, abilities, and learning styles.
Equity Statement of Intent
The Washington State Board of Education has committed to using equity as a guiding principle in its decision-making related to its statutory charges, strategic planning, and in developing annual policy proposals for consideration by the Washington State Legislature and Governor.
The Washington State Board of Education is committed to successful academic attainment for all students. Accomplishing this will require narrowing academic achievement gaps between the highest and lowest performing students, as well as eliminating the predictability and disproportionality in student achievement outcomes by race, ethnicity, and adverse socioeconomic conditions. Read more. See SBE Equity Lens.
The 2019-2023 Strategic Plan contains six goals for the State Board of Education:
- All students feel safe at school, and have the supports necessary to thrive.
- All students are able to engage in their schools and their broader communities, and feel invested in their learning pathways, which lead to their post-secondary aspirations.
- School and district structures and systems adapt to meet the evolving needs of the student population and community, as a whole. Students are prepared to adapt as needed and fully participate in the world beyond the classroom.
- Students successfully transition into, through, and out of the P-12 system.
- Students graduate from Washington State high schools ready for civic engagement, careers, postsecondary education, and lifelong learning.
- Equitable funding across the state to ensure that all students have the funding and opportunities they need, regardless of their geographical location or other needs.