The 2019-2023 Strategic Plan contains six goals for the State Board of Education:
- All students feel safe at school, and have the supports necessary to thrive.
- All students are able to engage in their schools and their broader communities, and feel invested in their learning pathways, which lead to their post-secondary aspirations.
- School and district structures and systems adapt to meet the evolving needs of the student population and community, as a whole. Students are prepared to adapt as needed and fully participate in the world beyond the classroom.
- Students successfully transition into, through, and out of the P–12 system.
- Students graduate from Washington State high schools ready for civic engagement, careers, post-secondary education, and lifelong learning.
- Equitable funding across the state to ensure that all students have the funding and opportunities they need, regardless of their geographical location or other needs.
Background on the Development of the 2019-2023 Strategic Plan:
The Washington State Board of Education (SBE) began the strategic planning process in January 2018, building on prior work to shape key priorities, including the development to the Board’s Equity Statement of Intent. The Board conducted extensive outreach to gather information to support the development of the plan and the priorities. This included regional community forums, outreach at partner meetings, presentations to the State Board, and a public survey that reached 2,690 participants. Half of the survey participants identified as parents, while other affiliations included representatives of state agencies, community groups, students, educators, and school and college administrators. The Board drew on this feedback and developed a set of priorities during their September Retreat. A draft of the plan was available for comment in early October. The final report was approved by the Board on November 8, 2018.
2019 Board Meeting Dates, Locations, and Materials*
|Date||Meeting Place||City||Forum Registration|
|January 9, 2019 to January 10, 2019||DoubleTree||Olympia||N/A|
|March 13, 2019 to March 14, 2019||SPSCC Event Center||Lacey|
|May 8, 2019 to May 9, 2019||Confluence Technology Center||Wenatchee|
|July 10, 2019 to July 11, 2019||Cedarbrook Lodge||Seattle|
|September 10, 2019 to September 12, 2019||TBD||Yakima|
|November 6, 2019 to November 7, 2019||TBD||Bremerton|
*Please note: community forums are always the day before the Board meeting begins.
The 2015-2018 Strategic Plan contained four goals for the State Board of Education:
- Develop and support policies to close the achievement and opportunity gaps.
- Develop comprehensive accountability, recognition, and supports for students, schools, and districts.
- Ensure that every student has the opportunity to meet career and college ready standards.
- Provide effective oversight of the K-12 system.